October 11, 2012

“A Tone Deaf Sheep”

A preface to this thought – c
 
Whenever President Osguthrope (of the General Sunday School of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) speaks or writes and article I think of his wife Lola (she was the Chorister in Rochester 2nd Ward when Joyce and I first joined the Church.  She one Sunday invited any who wanted to join the Choir to come to their practice (and she said all would be welcome – including me).  After exercising her great patience and tolerance of this newest sheep and his attempts to sing she finally acknowledge the truth – I was tone deaf and couldn’t read (dyslexia).  She then indicating I had other talents invited me to sit in the pews and listen – which I did as I appreciate music greatly.
 
Of course this was not short lived – I continued trying to sing the hymns with everyone else – but the ending came when between Jerry Argetsinger and President Dallon affirmed what Sister Osguthrope had recognized early on.  Their comments and thoughts most likely will linger for a long time.  When I was released as the Ward Clerk in Rochester – I went to do the count – and there was a flurry of signing – when I went back to the stand – Jerry stopped me and said, “The deaf students are sad to see you released – but are happy they don’t have to listen to you sing anymore.”  Some quiet laughter – at which time President Dallon who was just beginning his talk – asked what was so funny.  Of course Jerry stands up and tells everyone.  President Dallon then said, “When Chuck was the Sunday School President – I would stand beside him when we sang hymns.  I would constantly check to see which hymn Chuck was singing as it didn’t appear to be the one we were singing.”  Smile – someday – somewhere – maybe I’ll learn to sing.  Your friend and brother in the Gospel – chuck ingerson


“A Tone Deaf Sheep”

 

cji

10/11/12

 

Born to sing and celebrate

every opportunity to let loose

even though a note to late

scaring the barnyard goose;

 

Out to the fields early morn

most often found all alone

feeling the others scorn

thus singing to a stone;

 

Loving most of all Christmas

Silent Night to always sing

usually ending up in a mess

on others to bring a grin;

 

A tone deaf sheep of fold

seeking a choir or his own

yet to sit in the pews told

no musical skills to hone;

 

Someday and somewhere

his voice is heard to sing

his understanding to share

and true happiness to bring;

 

This is not the day or place

dyslexia and tone deaf too

all his singing to now erase

words jumbled to his view;

 

Yet in his heart is resolve

appreciating others talents

eternally his will evolve

if humbly and valiant!

 

Copyright © 2012 – cji

No comments: