July 4, 2019

"Another View" (From Andersonville)


“Another View”

cji
7/5/19

Just over the hill
lays a valley
a great tragedy
war always leaves
while once just one
now memories
of many mixed
maybe today
a good day to share!

Copyright © 2019 – cji




“POW’s Andersonville and the Civil War”

“It was a tear . . .

fully developed
that would
not now
or again
caress my
wife of child’s
cheek or person
for this teardrop
froze in place
never to fall
for freedoms price
was my cost
in this hell forgotten
place,
called
by name
by name
forgotten as my tear . . .”

C.J. Ingerson
8/25/98

“Over by . . .

the side
where shadows
fell did we seek
to cover ourselves
from his eyes
for just one moment
to be free from his sight
to be free one moment
then to return
to his eyes
rejuvenated
given the strength
to endure
till one more time
to seek the shadows
free from our guards
the enemies eyes . . .”

“We ran away . . .

not in an act of cowardice
but in one of hope
for freedom was found
beyond the physical being
so we ran,
we crawled,
we groveled,
into the deep shadows
the inner recesses
of our minds
of our beings
to sit once again
on mothers lap,
to the sunshine of youth,
we ran away
from these shackles and chains . . .”

“He wasn’t much . . .

maybe 18, I don’t know
we just met up
stayed together
sometimes we’d talk
he never spoke of home
so I told him of mine
he’d been around
from the places he spoke of
places I’d never seen
no he wasn’t much
but we buried him today
he’d had a wound
we didn’t know
I put his name
on a scrap
tied to his toe,
he wasn’t much
just my friend . . .”

C.J. Ingerson
8/25/98


“You know . . .

I don’t know
what is that makes war
or why men can’t agree
or why there is so much horror.
I don’t know why
we can’t get along.

I was a farmer
Johnny Reb
told me he was a farmer
so why are we killing
each other?

It wasn’t funny
but it was
the two of us sitting their
he with his gun
me with mine
just waiting
to see who came by.

His people came first
so I’m in prison
and last I heard
he was up near
Fredericksburg.

He writes when he can
not very well
says he doesn’t know
who is better off
him or me.

Well I sure wish
I was him
and him me
Fredericksburg
is a whole lot
closer to home.

But I’ve learned
that war is hell
and prison is
the lowest level
and the horror
of cannons
and bullets
is nothing
to the horror
of the screams
of your brothers
and that there
is nothing you can do
is nothing you can do
is nothing you can
is nothing you
is nothing
is . . .”

C.J. Ingerson
9/3/98


“Little flower”

How in the world
did you get in here
what did you do so wrong
as to be condemned with us?

Oh I know you can’t hear me
or even know I’m here
but you won’t last long
as a little flower here.

But since you’re here
I’ll care for you just in case
the one who brought you here
will take some time to care for me.

C.J. Ingerson
9/3/98

“Wandering . . .

my mind seeks escape
were none is found
this isn’t what I’d thought
when first the call came
excitement, adventure
going after the Yanks
going to go
and come right back
be a hero
have the locals
flock around
to hear my stories
of war and killing
and winning
and whatever
other lies could be told.

But now my mind
only wants to escape
from this hell
called Elmira
called Delaware
called infamy
forgotten by all.

Wandering
my mind remembers
only childhood dreams
fishing in the creek
hunting coon’s at night
the foolishness
of knights
of heroes
on big white horses . . .”

C.J. Ingerson
9/3/98


“Please remember me . . .”

This is how I start my prayers
each night and each morning
for where I’m now
is surely not a place
where God would dwell.

Surely this place is hidden
far from anyone’s eyes
far from where humans live
and I’m afraid
I’ll be forgotten and lost.

Please remember me . . .
I’m your son
you sent me here
to grow and learn
to come home again.

Remember how we laughed
and played when I was young
surely I had more time
to get to know you better
and for you to know me.

So please Lord
remember me
in this forsaken place
called Andersonville
where you would never dwell. . .

C.J. Ingerson
9/3/98


Copyright © 2019 – cji

No comments: