January 15, 2017

"A Friend"


“A Friend”

cji
1/16/17

52 years ago in Harlem
signs of the riots all about
but it was in the daylight
he who I was with was safe
we walked and talked
discussing what I saw here
and what’d I’d seen in the PI
much the same much worse
then after several hours
we ended at his home
for me to wait he had friend
needful for me to meet
at about 2130 he returned
with him three other men
each distinguished looking
introductions made at once
then we spoke until 0430
we spoke on race/leadership
being color-blind and fair
we spoke of Cuba/Russia
they asked me questions
and I in turn answered
around me I had four friends
an evening none to forget
being only 19 I was young
thus when asked about him
answering simply, ‘a friend’
told that was unacceptable
I then repeated to the world not
but to me always and forever
Dr. Martin Luther King
would be known as a friend!


Copyright © 2017 – cji

No comments: