February 28, 2011

March 2011 HT'ing & VT'ing




Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "Looking for the Good", Ensign, March 2011, 4–6
While looking for a new home, a young Latter-day Saint couple talked to potential neighbors about the neighborhood and the schools in the area.
One woman they spoke to said of the school her children were attending: “This is the most incredible place! The principal is a wonderful and good man; the teachers are well qualified, kind, and friendly. I am so pleased that our children can attend this wonderful school. You’ll love it here!”
A different woman said of her children’s school: “It’s a terrible place. The principal is self-absorbed; the teachers are unqualified, rude, and unfriendly. If I could afford to move out of this area, I’d do it in a heartbeat!”
The interesting thing was that both women were speaking about the same principal, the same teachers, and the same school.
Have you ever noticed that people can usually find whatever they are looking for? Look hard enough, and you can discover both good and bad in almost anyone and anything. People have done the same with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since its beginning. Those who look for the good will find a kind and compassionate people—a people who love the Lord and desire to serve Him and bless the lives of their fellowman. But it is also true that those who look for the bad will certainly find things that are not so ideal.
Unfortunately, at times this happens even within the Church. There is no end to the creativity, ingenuity, and tenacity of those who look for reasons to criticize. They cannot seem to release their grip on grudges. They gossip and find fault with others. They nurse wounds for decades, taking every opportunity to tear down and demean others. This is not pleasing to the Lord, “for where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work” (James 3:16).
President George Q. Cannon (1827–1901) knew President Brigham Young (1801–77) well, working closely with him for many years, both as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and as his counselor in the First Presidency. After the death of President Young, President Cannon wrote in his journal: “I never criticized or found fault with [Brigham Young’s] conduct, his counsel or his teachings at any time in my heart, much less in my words or actions. This is a pleasure to me now. The thought that ever was with me was: If I criticize or find fault with, or judge Brother Brigham, how far shall I go; if I commence, where shall I stop? I dared not to trust myself in such a course. I knew that apostasy frequently resulted from the indulgence of the spirit of criticizing and faultfinding. Others, of greater strength, wisdom and experience than myself, might do many things and escape evil consequences which I dare not do.” 1
President Cannon’s powerful counsel is something we members of the Church should consider with great care. The word of God admonishes the followers of Christ to be “pure, … peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.” For those who make peace, “the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace” (James 3:17, 18).
We have a choice. We can seek for the bad in others. Or we can make peace and work to extend to others the understanding, fairness, and forgiveness we so desperately desire for ourselves. It is our choice; for whatever we seek, that we will certainly find.
Teaching from This Message
“You may feel that you lack understanding of a certain principle that you are preparing to teach,” notes Teaching, No Greater Call ([1999], 19). “However, as you prayerfully study it, strive to live it, prepare to teach it, and then share it with others, your own testimony will be strengthened and deepened.”
As you look for the good in life and in others this month, you will be more prepared to teach this message and to testify of its truth.
Youth
The Bright Side of a Dog Bite
By Tara Stringham
09603_000_003In the summer of 2009, I was bitten on my face by my friend’s dog. Unfortunately, the bite split my lip open, and I had to get stitches.
Following the injury, I was very downhearted. I allowed adversity to take over my thoughts, and I felt like my whole life had been ruined. I was self-conscious about my lip and didn’t want to go out in public at all. In my mind my plans for piano, volleyball, church, swimming, and school were crushed by my injury.
But whenever I prayed, received priesthood blessings, talked with my parents, or had visits by my family and friends, my spirits were lifted and I felt happiness at a time of sadness. I soon realized that if people were thinking about my injury, they were feeling compassion.
This experience helped build my character, and I learned not to be as worried about what other people thought about me. I was also blessed because my injury helped me realize that I should think less about myself and start caring more for others. My spirit was greatly strengthened during this time.
I learned that adversity is a part of Heavenly Father’s plan for us. If we look for the good and not the bad, we can overcome adversity, become a better person, and let the experience strengthen our testimony.
Children
Look for the Good around You
09603_000_004 You can see good all around you if you learn to look for it. One way you can learn to recognize blessings is by making it a habit each night to count the good things you saw that day.
Look at this picture. How many good things can you find?
Take time tonight to tell a family member about some of the good things you saw in your own life today.
Illustration by Adam Koford
Some look at this glass and see it as half full. Others see it as half empty. How you see it is up to you.
“Looking Up”

cji
3/1/11

Seeing the bright sun
feeling warming rays
smiles touching all
wherein is the good;

Shadows disappear
light floods the soul
friendship increases
finding the good!

Copyright © 2011 – cji



"Under the Priesthood and after the Pattern of the Priesthood", Ensign, March 2011, 7
My dear sisters, how blessed we are! Not only are we members of the Church, but we are also members of Relief Society—“the Lord’s organization for women.” 1 Relief Society is evidence of God’s love for His daughters.
Doesn’t your heart thrill as you recall the exciting beginnings of this society? On March 17, 1842, the Prophet Joseph Smith organized the sisters “under the priesthood after the pattern of the priesthood.” 2
To be organized “under the priesthood” gave sisters authority and direction. Eliza R. Snow, second Relief Society general president, taught that Relief Society “cannot exist without the Priesthood, from the fact that it derives all its authority and influence from that source.” 3 Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles explained, “The authority to be exercised by the officers and teachers of the Relief Society … was the authority that would flow to them through their organizational connection with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and through their individual setting apart under the hands of the priesthood leaders by whom they were called.” 4
To be organized “after the pattern of the priesthood” gave sisters sacred responsibilities. Julie B. Beck, Relief Society general president, explained: “We operate in the manner of the priesthood—which means that we seek, receive, and act on revelation; make decisions in councils; and concern ourselves with caring for individuals one by one. Ours is the priesthood purpose to prepare ourselves for the blessings of eternal life by making and keeping covenants. Therefore, like our brethren who hold the priesthood, ours is a work of salvation, service, and becoming a holy people.” 5
Barbara Thompson, second counselor in the Relief Society general presidency.
From the Scriptures
1 Corinthians 11:11; Doctrine and Covenants 25:3; 121:36–46
From Our History
During the construction of the Nauvoo Temple, a group of sisters desired to organize to support the building effort. Eliza R. Snow drafted bylaws for this new group. When she showed them to the Prophet Joseph, he responded: “Tell the sisters their offering is accepted of the Lord, and he has something better for them. … I will organize the women under the priesthood after the pattern of the priesthood.” 6 A short time later, the Prophet told the newly organized Relief Society: “I now turn the key to you in the name of God, and this Society shall rejoice, and knowledge and intelligence shall flow down from this time.” 7 The sisters were expected to rise to a new level of holiness and to prepare for the priesthood ordinances soon to be administered in the temple.
What Can I Do?
1. How can I help the sisters I visit enjoy the blessings of Relief Society’s sacred work?
2. What will I do this month to increase my ability to receive personal revelation?

“Correctness in All”

cji
3/1/11

Eternal principles
taught and repeated
thus is order there
correctness in all
hearing Fathers call
each able to share
evil is defeated
eternal principles!


Copyright © 2011 – cji

No comments: